International Journal of Advanced and Integrated Medical Sciences

Register      Login

VOLUME 1 , ISSUE 3 ( July-September, 2016 ) > List of Articles


Tobacco use and its Socioeconomic Impact among Adult Males in Rural Area of Bareilly: A Cross-sectional Study

Deeepak Upadhyay

Citation Information : Upadhyay D. Tobacco use and its Socioeconomic Impact among Adult Males in Rural Area of Bareilly: A Cross-sectional Study. Int J Adv Integ Med Sci 2016; 1 (3):103-105.

DOI: 10.5005/jp-journals-10050-10036

Published Online: 01-03-2017

Copyright Statement:  Copyright © 2016; The Author(s).



Tobacco use is one of the important preventable causes of death and a leading public health problem all over the world. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), tobacco is the second major cause of death worldwide and is currently responsible for about 5 million deaths each year. This figure is expected to rise to about 8.4 million by the year 2020, with 70% of deaths occurring in developing countries.


• To study the prevalence of tobacco use

• To assess the socioeconomic factor of tobacco use

Materials and methods

A community-based cross-sectional study was carried out in rural field practicing area of Rohilkhand Medical College and Hospital (RMCH), Bareilly. Multistage sampling design was used and 400 males, aged above 15 years, were randomly selected belonging to the field practice area of RMCH. The data were recorded in predesigned and semistructured questionnaire.


In the study prevalence of tobacco use, “current user” was 183 (45.75%) and past user was 19 (4.75%); thus, the overall prevalence of tobacco use was 202 (50.50%). Among the tobacco user, maximum participants belong to age group 15 to 24 years. The data were analyzed by applying chi-square test.

How to cite this article

Agarwal A, Khan S, Joshi HS, Upadhyay D. Tobacco use and its Socioeconomic Impact among Adult Males in Rural Area of Bareilly: A Cross-sectional Study. Int J Adv Integ Med Sci 2016;1(3):103-105.

PDF Share
  1. Tobacco use and its correlate factors among adult males in rural area of Meerut: a cross sectional study. Int J Community Health 2013 Dec;25(3):281-284.
  2. WHO Report on the Global Tobacco Epidemic, 2008: The MPOWER package [Internet]. Geneva: WHO; 2008. Available from: Accessed September 22, 2014.
  3. Effect of anti-tobacco audiovisual messages on knowledge and attitude towards tobacco use in North India. Indian J Community Med 2012 Oct-Dec;37:227-231.
  4. Prevalence of tobacco use among power loom workers – a cross-sectional study. Indian J Community Med 2010 Jan;35(1):34-39.
  5. Prevalence of tobacco use among the children in the age group of 13-15 years in Sikkim after 5 years of prohibitory legislation. Indian J Community Med 2008 Apr;33(2):124-126.
  6. Patterns of tobacco use across rural, urban, and urban-slum populations in a North Indian community. Indian J Community Med 2010 Apr;35(2):245-251.
  7. Incidence estimates of substance use disorders in a cohort from Delhi, India. Indian J Med Res 2002 Mar;115:128-135.
  8. Prevalence and correlates of smoking among adult men in Bangladesh: slum versus non-slum comparison. BMC Public Health 2009 May:9(1):149.
  9. Factors attributing to initiation of tobacco use in adolescent students of Moradabad, (UP) India. Indian J Dent Res 2009 Jul;20(3):346-349.
  10. study on prevalence of chewing form of tobacco and existing quitting patterns in urban population of Jamnagar, Gujarat. Indian J Community Med 2010 Jan;35(1):105-108.
  11. Epidemiology of cancer by tobacco products and the significance of TSNA. Critical Rev Toxicol 1996 Jan;26:183-198.
  12. Smoking cessation in young adults: age at initiation of cigarette and other suspected influences. Am J Public Health 1996 Feb:86(2):214-220.
  13. Smokeless tobacco consumption among school children. Indian J Cancer 2010 Jul;47(5):19-23.
  14. Age at initiation & prevalence of tobacco use among adult children in Noida, India: a cross-sectional questionnaire based survey. Indian J Med Res 2011 Mar;133(3):300-307.
  15. Overall, illicit drug use by American teens continues gradual decline in 2007. [Press Release, 11 December 2007]. Ann Arbor (MI): University of Michigan News Service, 2007 [viewed 26 Aug 2012].
PDF Share
PDF Share

© Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) LTD.