Background: Poisoning is a global health problem and one of the major causes of hospitalization through emergency department. In several studies, preponderance of males in younger age group and pesticide consumption has been reported.

Method: The present study was undertaken at MGM Hospital and Research Centre, Central Business District (CBD) Belapur, Navi Mumbai, India to study the epidemiological profile of acute poisoning cases; following a chance observation of female preponderance among poisoning cases attending the hospital. Acute poisoning cases, who visited the hospital during the period of five years from 1st July 2007 to 30th June 2012, were included in the study. The data were pooled into pre-designed variable structure for the analysis.

Results A total of 234 poisoning cases have been reported, majority of which, reside in neighboring areas of Belapur and Kharghar inhabited by middle to high income population group. Out of them, 172 (69.51%) patients were in the age group of 16 to 35 years and mean age was 26 years. The female to male ratio was 1.75:1 and contrary to other comparative studies, this reverse gender trend was found statistically significant (p < 0.001). A total of 137 (58.55%) poisoning cases were married. However, the proportion of married women?92/149 (61.74%), was statistically significant, placing young married women at higher risk of poisoning (p < 0.0001). In 32 (13.68%) cases, poisoning was accidental, while in remaining 202 (86.32%) deliberate self-harm (DSH) was the reason. Among the poisons consumed, psychotropic drugs (24.79%), insecticides (11.54%) and disinfectants (11.11%) constituted the bulk.

Conclusion: This is the first study, in Maharashtra and one among few in the country, which has reported high preponderance of young married women among poisoning cases. Adverse male to female ratio (1000:893) in Thane district where Navi Mumbai is located, coupled with findings of high incidence of acute poisoning in females, is a clear indication of social distress among women in this part of the country.

Keywords: Gender, Hospital information systems, Poisoning, Urban population.

How to cite this article: Mahadik V, Waingankar P, Taralekar R, Anjenaya S, Thatkar P, Pilewar S. Gender Difference in Acute Poisoning Cases in an Urban Area in Navi Mumbai, India. MGM J Med Sci 2015;2(3):120-124.

Source of support: Nil

Conflict of interest: None