JAYPEE JOURNALS
International Scientific Journals from Jaypee
Subscriber's Login
Home Instructions Editorial Board Current Issue Pubmed Archives Subscription Contact Us
The Journal of Medical Sciences
Abstract
 
 

ABSTRACT

Noncompliance to medication is a leading issue and a huge burden in our current health care system. Poor adherence has shown to decrease the effects of prescribed medications or other treatments and increase the likelihood of poor outcomes. A community-based cross-sectional study was conducted in the urban field practice area of RajaRajeswari Medical College and Hospital, Bengaluru, Karnataka, India, among all the elderly aged .60 years, using a semistructured and pretested questionnaire. The study included 153 elderly participants, among whom 89 were males and 64 were females. Out of the 153 participants, 125 (81.69%) had some or the other illness. Out of the 125 who were ill, only 78 (62.4%) were taking treatment regularly. The remaining 47 (37.6%) were noncompliant to treatment. The main factors for noncompliance were forgetfulness 16 (34%) and symptomatic improvement 10 (21.3%).

Keywords: Bengaluru, Elderly, Noncompliance to treatment, Urban.

How to cite this article: Rajitha T, Parasuramalu BG. Factors influencing Noncompliance to Treatment among Elderly in the Urban Field Practice Area of RajaRajeswari Medical College and Hospital, Bengaluru, Karnataka. J Med Sci 2017;3(1):11-14.

Source of support: Nil

Conflict of interest: None

 
 
logo
© Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd.