JAYPEE JOURNALS
International Scientific Journals from Jaypee
Subscriber's Login
Home Instructions Editorial Board Current Issue Pubmed Archives Subscription Contact Us
International Journal of Recent Surgical and Medical Sciences
Abstract
 
 

ABSTRACT

Introduction: Breast cancer is the most common cancer diagnosed in women worldwide. These rising trends have emphasized the need of prompt detection, effective clinical evaluation, and exact diagnosis of the breast disease. Aim: To analyze and compare the sensitivity, specificity, and predictive values and accuracy of ultrasonography (USG) and fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) in diagnosing malignant breast lump.

Materials and methods: A cross-sectional, prospective study was done. One hundred sixteen female patients attending surgery department with breast lump were included. After complete clinical evaluation of the lump, all patients underwent USG and FNAC examination for diagnosis of the lump, and further subjected to excisional biopsy/definitive surgery, the results of which were further compared with the histopathological results to determine the accuracy, sensitivity, specificity, and predictive values of FNAC and USG.

Results: Out of 116, 61 (52.58%) benign lesions were found while the remaining 55 (47.41%) resulted to be malignant lesions on histopathological examination (HPE). Ultrasonography reported 46 true positive, 60 true negative, and 4 false negative cases with 6 inconclusive reports; whereas, FNAC reported 47 true positive, 61 true negative, and 6 false negative cases with 2 inconclusive reports. There were no false positive cases detected by USG and FNAC. Thus, sensitivity, specificity, positive predictive value (PPV), negative predictive value (NPV), and diagnostic accuracy for USG was found to be 92, 100, 100, 93.75, and 96.36% (χ2-value = 94.88, p-value = 0.0001,S) and values of 88.68, 100, 100, 91.04, and 94.73% were obtained for FNAC respectively (χ2-value = 92.04, p = 0.0001,S).

Conclusion: In diagnosing malignant breast lesion, USG and FNAC are 100% specific. Although USG appears more sensitive than FNAC, the percentage of indeterminate report is higher with USG.

Keywords: Breast cancer, Breast lump, Diagnostic accuracy, Fine needle aspiration cytology, Ultrasonography.

How to cite this article: Kalwani R, Kher KS, Daftari SS. Comparison of Ultrasonography and Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology in the Diagnosis of Malignant Breast Lesions in a Rural Setup. Int J Recent Surg Med Sci 2016;2(2):58-65.

Source of support: Nil

Conflict of interest: None

 
 
logo
© Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) Ltd.